Monday, July 26, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday: Richard and Frances Brown

A wonderful woman in Springfield, Illinois went to the Illinois State Archives for me and found four of my ancestors' death certificates. At $5 each, it was much cheaper (and faster) than getting them through the county or Illinois Dept of public Health. I <3 genealogists!!

While I don't have a picture of their tombstones, I learned a lot more about my ancestors through their death certificates.

Richard George Brown, my great great grandfather, was born in New York. He was the son of Joseph Brown and Mary Gullin (a new surname to add to my growing list!). Joseph was born in Ireland, while Mary was born in New York.

Joseph and family moved to the Illinois/Wisconsin border. They moved from Boone county, IL to Walworth county in WI to Rockford in Winnebago County, Illinois.

Richard and his father, Joseph, were farmers. Richard married Frances Kizer in Walworth, Wisconsin. The Kizers were also farmers. Richard and Frances had many children. They seem rather creative with their first born son named Welcome Asle Brown. Another son, Clarence Clifton Brown, is my great grandpa.

Richard passed away in the Rockford Hospital from heart trouble, pneumonia, and bronchial inflammation in 1920. Frances passed away 6 years later from heart trouble and a gall bladder inflammation. Both are buried in Bluff Grove Cemetery in Rockford, IL. I have entered their information into findagrave and am crossing my fingers hoping someone will take a photo of their stones for me. Eventually I'll set up some time to take the hour and a half drive up to Rockford.

I would never have known Richard's mom's maiden name, or Richard and Frances burial location without their death certificates.

No comments:

Post a Comment