Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday: D'Orazio Family in Chicago, Illinois


I love tombstones with pictures! Above is a picture of the tombstone for my great great grandparents: Maria D'Orazio (nee Di Bartolomeo) and Nunziato (aka Annunziato) D'Orazio and three of their children. This is the only picture I have seen of either of them. Nunziato and Maria had three other children, Lucia "Lucy" Vitraelli (my great grandma), buried in another location of the cemetery, and Josephine "Jo" Ragagli and Vincenzo D'Orazio, both buried in an unknown location. The D'Orazio's were originally from Alfadena, Region: Abruzzo, Province: L'Aquila, Italy. Nunziato arrived at Ellis Island in New York in 1899. Maria and her children arrived later in 1905. I assume Nunziato travelled to Italy between 1900-1905, as one son was born in 1903, although I have not found records to prove that assumption. The family later moved to Chicago, Illinois.
Tombstone is located in Mout Carmel Cemetery, Hillside, Cook County, Illinois
(Picture taken by me in April 2010)
Tombstone reads:
Alfred [D'Orazio]
1906-1968
Michele [D'Orazio]
1909-1929
Nunziato [D'Orazio]
1872-1919
Maria [D'Orazio nee Di Bartolomeo]
1874-1947
James C [D'Orazio]
1903-1987
Margaret ["Marge" D'Orazio, nee Fuoco, wife of James]
1912-1989

No comments:

Post a Comment